The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: Was It Worth the Hype?

Kingdom of the planet of the apes released May 8, 2024, and many fans hyped the movie up as trailers were released. Some said “it won’t be the same, It’s going to be bad,” and some others said it’s worth the wait and the hype.

Following the main character’s death many people gave up on the movie series, emphasizing that without the main character the movie won’t be entertaining anymore and it would lose its spark

On the website RottenTomatoes.com, top critics gave the movie mostly a bad tomato meaning that it didn’t meet their expectations. Top critic Claudia Puig called it, ”Dull and confusing. The best that can be said about it is the mildly interesting dystopian production design.”

Claudia emphasizes “Dull and confusing” which was mentioned by many other critics and which seems to be top problem in the movie.

Another top critic Soren Andersen stated, “The script by Josh Friedman brings no fresh insights into that established premise. At nearly 2½ hours in length, that’s a lot of time spent on plowing familiar ground.” Soren criticizes that the movie was about 2 hours and a half long and no new changes in the plot have been made which is why he gave it a bad tomato.

In WP, opinions flourished as many students were eager for the 9th period bell to ring to go watch the movie. Joshua Lopez stated, “It was alright. Some parts were confusing but the action was what made the movie interesting.”

Another student in WP Marcos Araujo stated, “It was a decent movie, but, for two and a half hours, I expected more.”

As we can see there are many trends in the opinions we are getting. The word “confusing” which many people complain about in the movie.

Now it’s up to the directors to listen to the reviews and if they are planning to make another movie to apply the audience opinion into work.