The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

Party Scene Staple: Sublime’s Self Titled Album

American rock band, Sublime, from Long Beach California left a lasting impact on reggae punk music 35 years laters.

Sublime is an American rock band, though fans often label them as reggae rock. They formed in 1988, with the original members Bradley Nowell, Eric Wilson, and Bud Gaugh. Sublime released their third studio album Sublime in 1996. It was their most popular album. The popularity still stands, as recently as 2021 Sublime has 6 million monthly Spotify listeners. According to GQ

Bradley Nowell, the lead singer of Sublime died after the making of the album from a heroin overdose. Bradley was doing hard drugs throughout the production of the album and that shone through into their album.

The album is categorized as Ska Punk, which includes elements of both the punk and reggae genres. As per the reports of Daily News.

Our favorite songs from the album Sublime:

Santeria – Nixon’s pick
Santeria was the one song in the album that stuck out to me the most. To me this song was the perfect mix of everything you would want in a song. The song in a way makes me want to try out surfing and gives me the vibe of being by a beach on a summer day. I would highly recommend this song to people who are getting ready for summer and people who truly want to summerage themselves in that setting of music.

Wrong way – Chloe’s Pick
Wrong Way follows the pattern of upbeat songs with not so cheerful lyrics. The beat is what initially draws me in with all of the instruments but, when I listen closely to the lyrics it makes the song even more interesting. The song is about being stuck in a perpetual cycle of doing things the “Wrong way” It’s a song that never fails to transport you into the summer.

Student perspectives:

Santeria – Bismark Velasquez
It’s Groovy. The mood of the lyrics definitely juxtaposed the upbeat sound. Like the lines about having a “ barrel down Sancho’s throat”. Probably one of those songs that sounds so good you just forget what the lyrics are saying”

Santeria – Ayanna Smith
“ I love the beat, it gives an early 2000’s vibe. To be honest I wasn’t listening to much of the lyrics, I should’ve. I’d give it a calm 7/10. I’d listen to it if I just wanted to calm down for a bit. I like it.”