The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

The First In-Person Parent Teacher Conference Since COVID Is Finally Here

Getty Images/iStockphoto

On Thursday, March 21st, parents will meet in person with teachers for the first time since 2019, according to WP’s website.

There will be two separate periods of time for parents. The first one will run from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM, and the next one will run from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. 

Ms. Kelly, the principal at WP, sent out information about this event through Jupiter. In this email, Ms. Kelly reported that advisors will be reaching out to parents. Advisors keep track of students’ progress and activities. 

Parents must bring ID for scanning upon entering the building. The office staff is located on the 4th floor and will be set up by grade. Parents will be given their child’s progress reports and a list of the rooms and staff.

There will be a sign-in sheet with ten-minute slots available for individual teachers outside the door. If parents don’t wish to wait in line, they must secure a spot by emailing their desired teachers. Light refreshments will be served. 

Some teachers shared their thoughts on this event.

Mr. Bezzant, an English teacher, shared his excitement on meeting parents, he only has good things to share about his students. He explained how some advisors don’t teach their advisees. He said, “a parent can visit any other teacher they want.” This is why it’s important for parents to be able to meet in person and have the opportunity to choose who to see.

Mr. Bullington, the journalism teacher, is looking forward to meeting many of his students’ parents for the first time. He said, “I think it’s very important for our school and for our culture in general that we can actually meet face-to-face with parents. I think a lot of communication and relationships are lost when we have to do it online or over the phone.”

He believes it’s important for parents and teachers to come to an understanding of how to help students grow academically and socially.