The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

What Are The Ship Awards at Williamsburg Prep?

At Williamsburg Prep there are “Ship Awards” that are awarded to students selected by a particular teacher each month.

Williamsburg Prep gives Ship Awards to students who show characteristics of either leadership, relationship, scholarship, citizenship, and partnership. The Ship awards are given to students who exceeded their capabilities in the school community. The students who are awarded get to attend a SHIP breakfast before class.

We interviewed WP students to see what their experiences were like, and how it made them feel.

Leadership stands for taking initiative and leading others. Relationship means how a student is forming connections with students or even teachers. Scholarship represents a student’s dedication to school work.

Citizenship represents a student doing good deeds and sticking up for what’s right. Lastly, Partnership represents a students teamwork capabilities, and how they are able to work with to get things done.

Kai Morales, a Junior at Williamsburg Prep received two awards for citizenship and partnership. She stated, “When I got my very first Ship, I thought they meant that they were going to give me a green card.”
“But I said no because I was a citizen. I was very new to the concept.”

She continues, “They gave me a paper but I never went to breakfast, it made me feel happy and my dad was proud of me.”

Giving awards to students can positively impact their life. Awards Boost students’ confidence, and it encourages them to continue doing good work, and demonstrating these five ships.

Isabelle, another Junior said, “I don’t want a ship award because the pictures aren’t the best looking.”

Amy Li said, “I wish I could get a ship award but I think it’s biased.”

The 5 Ships help to foster a better school community and also help to encourage students to be better in their out of school communities.

These ship awards also are good because they give students goals to strive for to better themselves for life after high school not just academically but emotionally as well.