The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

What’s Up With the Arts at WP?

WP offers a number of arts classes and clubs this year to help enrich students’ high school experiences. Some teachers and students shared their personal thoughts on the arts at WP.

Christian Lora has been a student in music for the past two years. He is now a TA (teacher assistant) for Mr. Benoit, the Guitar teacher. He was asked about his thoughts on music class. He replied, “I love my music class, but the school can use more music as an option. The school is very sports-oriented, and there should be more of a balance. More people would want to immerse themselves in the performing arts.”

Earlier this year, teachers created a Bachata Club. It’s held on Wednesdays from three thirty to four thirty. It is hosted by Ms. Greenaway and the creator, Yoselyn Diaz. Ms. Greenaway, the teacher for Black History, was asked what she thought about the school’s arts culture. She responded, “I think that we are doing better than when I started. We have two AP art classes, a dance class, and a guitar class, but we can always do more.” Ms. Greenaway also added that more boys are needed in the Bachata club.

Mr. Hidalgo, the Studio Art teacher at WP, was asked if he felt support from other teachers. He answered, “yeah, a lot of teachers help me find help, and if I’m stressed with concepts and ideas, I know who to reach out to.” He was later asked what he thought about the art curriculum. He answered, “I create the curriculum and do the things I’m interested in as long as it hits the core requirements of teaching.” He explained that, “in order to express themselves, [students] must learn how to do certain techniques.” Mr. Hidalgo stated that he wishes he had more materials for art class.

Sean Bates, a student in Studio Art, was asked if he felt free to express himself. He replied, “Somewhat, but not really, because [Hidalgo] tells us things we have to do.” Bates states how he still enjoys his class because “it’s really artistic.” Later on, he was questioned if he believed the school offered enough artistic opportunities, to which he replied, “no.”

The school also has an AP Art course, but it is not a creative curriculum.

Other arts such as theater/improv and chorus aren’t offered as classes but are school clubs. On the WP official school website students and parents are able to access the club schedule.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Cardinal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Williamsburg Preparatory School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.