The Cardinal

The Student News Site of Williamsburg Preparatory School

The Cardinal

The Cardinal

Will The Van Arsdale Softball Team Be Able To Handle The Pressure This Up Coming Season?

This upcoming season, the Van Arsdale Softball team will be playing against some of the best schools in NYC. The team has been moved up to triple A (AAA). That is the highest division in the PSAL league for softball. They have most of the players from the former years. Many are seniors and it will be their last season playing for Van Arsdale and the end of their high school softball career. Clinton Burkhart is the coach for the girls and has been the only coach since coming back from quarantine. 

The Van Arsdale Softball team will be holding tryouts for their team on February 21-22,2024. The Captains are Briana Estevez, Jaycely Fermin, and Mellanie Vargas. They have been holding practices during the month of January to prepare new coming girls for tryout so they have a better chance of making the team. 

Their first game will be on March 26,2024 at McCarran Ballfield. They will be playing John Jay high school. They will have 14 games overall  not counting non league games and playoffs. They are playing games in Brooklyn,Queens and Staten Island. 

They will be playing teams a lot of the seniors now face in their sophomore year. During their sophomore year they were 1-13 , making a comeback their junior year with a score of 11-4. 

One of the most challenging schools I can say they will be playing this season would be Grand Street Campus. They went 14-0  with only losing their first playoff round. They played against them once but lost.